Schenley Riding Academy occupied much of the land at the corner of Neville and Bayard Streets with stables, a riding ring, and other facilities during the nineteenth century. Many of Pittsburgh’s most prominent citizens were members and kept their horses at the academy. In addition, Schenley Riding Academy was a favorite place to rent horses for riding in nearby Schenley Park.
The growth of Pittsburgh into and around the suburb of Shadyside along with the rising value of land during the early twentieth century chipped away at the amount of land devoted to Schenley Riding Academy (see the 1911 map above). The horseless carriage ultimately led to its closure and development into Bayard Place (see the 1923 map below). The map doesn’t show houses built yet but the lots around Bayard Place are clearly spoken for!
Schenley Riding Academy was a hub of Shadyside activity and a core ingredient in the East End social scene for many decades before it closed.